Sir Thomas Turton purchased Sterborough [sic] Castle in Lingfield in 1793 from the trustees of Robert Burrow, nephew and heir of Sir James Burrow who had also built a new house on the site of the ruined Castle, as well as, the Gothic-style pavilion on the moated island. Sir Thomas was made a Baronet in 1796 and served as a Member of Parliament for Southwark from 1806-1812.
Turton cleaned out the moat, preserving its original lines, supplied by a spring rising in one of the farms, about 2 miles distant and brought the last quarter mile underground by a wide drain. Sir Thomas sold Starborough Castle in 1812 to William Bruce Smith. Finally Sir James Burrows’ house was pulled down and a new mansion erected near the lake by John Tonge in about 1870. It was then sold to James Moore and the Pavillion went into disrepair and ruin. The last owner was R V Toynbee in 1933.